job opportunity: Client Value Strategy, Business Development and Planning Director
Client Value Strategy, Business Development and Planning Director
- Strategically grow agency revenue and profit by leveraging our relevant experience, talent and capabilities to selectively prospect, cultivate and retain mutually beneficial client relationships.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Lead the management team in the articulation of an agency position that: clearly communicates the business value we create for clients, is compelling, differentiated, authentic and relevant to our target prospects.
- Develop and direct implementation of a comprehensive marketing plan for the agency, including:
- Definition of priority target segments/prospects
- Marketing goals, objectives, strategies, metrics
- Annual tactical plan
- Annual budget
- Lead awareness-generating initiatives including the development of our written thought-leadership content: research studies, white papers, blog posts, social media posts, speaking opportunities, etc.
- Evaluate and adjust new business strategies to meet changing market and competitive conditions.
Lead generation and management
- Identify and help to develop strategic relationships with potential clients, current clients and referral sources. Oversee business development initiatives and guide them from the opportunity lead phase through the contract phase.
- Ensure a well organized, efficient and effective process for generating, evaluating and responding to new business opportunities
- Maintain our CRM (Workamajig), ensuring that all prospect contacts are documented and all materials are archived (Dropbox)
- Develop a lead generation plan to identify, nurture and convert high quality prospects.
- Develop and implement an outbound prospecting program with measurable metrics, such as:
- Prioritized target list
- Outbound communications (email, digital, direct) schedule and goals
- Prospect inquiries, leads, conversion goals
- Qualify inbound opportunities/RFPs for fit, determine whether to participate, collaborate with key internal stakeholders on deliverables, interface with prospective clients, and create written RFP responses.
- Lead the development and presentation of new client strategies and agency presentations.
- Run the pitch process from start-to-finish, including assessing initial opportunities, collaborating with key internal stakeholders on pitch deliverables, interfacing with prospective clients, and creating written RFP responses.
- Work closely with agency department leads to develop proposal and pitch materials, including case studies, initial POVs on prospective clients’ businesses, strategic presentations, and all written components of a proposal.
- Maintain and update our library of templates, case studies, questionnaire responses, capabilities presentations and final pitch presentations.
- Maintain ongoing communications with prospective clients.
- At the core of any great creative or communications plan is a sound strategy. We will look to the Business Development and Planning Director for a disciplined and methodical approach to understanding our client’s challenges and goals and to provide real-world solutions that cut through the clutter and engage consumers at every point of contact.
- Assess client prospect needs and develop a recommended strategic approach to deliver impactful marketing solutions to help achieve their business goals.
- Support the account team by providing sound, innovative, strategic leadership and initiatives for existing clients as needed. Identify opportunities for growth from existing clients.
- Oversee secondary and primary research initiatives for prospective and current clients, providing meaningful insights to internal team members.
- Ensure that each client’s customer journey has been documented and plans built that address every point of contact between the client and the customer.
- Be responsible for conducting annual agency client satisfaction surveys or outreach.
- Establish and achieve agreed upon performance measures such as:
- Increase in agency awareness and inbound inquiries
- Number of contacts per month
- Number of active qualified leads
- New client revenue growth (sales)
- Increased organic growth
- Client satisfaction reports completed
- Bachelor’s degree or MBA in Marketing, Advertising, Communications or Business
- 10+ years strategy and/or sales experience with an agency
- Understanding of branding, marketing, finance and business processes
- Familiarity with traditional and digital media (including social)
- Experienced in designing and analyzing primary research including transactional data
- Confirmed and proven record of closing accounts
- Exceptional presentation and communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to travel required
- Grit: entrepreneurially spirited, passionate, resourceful, motivated, hard working and committed.
- Emotionally intelligent: mature, self-aware, confident yet humble.
- You must love to network at community and industry events and be equally comfortable with conducting research, responding to Request for Proposals (RFP) and making cold calls to potential clients.
What you’ll do:
We’ve made a short list of the various job functions and skill sets that you will often need to fulfill.
As a Strategist:
- Lead market research and data analysis
- Be a strong communicator, public speaker and team player
- Distill insights from analysis
- Keep up-to-date with today’s digital economy and ecosystem
- Facilitate brainstorming and help problem solve
- Represent the voice of the consumer and be the social anthropologist
- “Own” creative briefs
As a Business Development Lead:
- Develop and pursue sales leads and prospective clients
- Lead pitches for RFPs
- Work with the team to prepare and deliver presentations and proposals
- Negotiate and close business deals
- Develop business plans that include marketing strategies
- Maintain extensive knowledge of current market conditions and reporting results to key staff
- Build and maintain important client relationships
- Manage the BD process until the project is handled off to Account Services
- Represent the agency at events to build the company’s positive reputation
What you ideally offer
- You should have a sound background in strategy and management experience, with proven revenue generation.
- Strong in insight generation, communication strategy development, and development of integrated communication programs
- The ability to facilitate strategic discussions both internally and externally
- Experience in new business identification and a strategic lead on major pitches
- Ability to research and write clear, compelling documents and presentations that tell a brand story
- BA/MA in marketing, advertising, communications or business strategy
- 5 to 10 years of experience in marketing, brand/marketing/communication strategy
- Experience working on both the agency and client side is a plus
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.